Wednesday 3 February 2010

Tuesday's adventure with Tofu!

Last week I bought some tofu in anticipation of making a Vietnamese recipe from the World Vegetarian Classics book, which really needs to be back in the library soon....but, well, I changed my mind about the tofu noodle dish and yesterday looking through the fridge I saw the box sitting there on the shelf begging to be used...handy actually because I was dieing to try another recipe as a test run for when Lee comes to visit next week. NEXT WEEK!

I really really really really like tofu.  I don't LOVE it when it is cold, but if it is warm (or deep fried) I will finish every last bit! I didn't know if David would like it or not, but thankfully he is pretty adventurous!!

In preparation for Lee's visit (we've planned the menu already!) I stocked up on a few Asian ingredients while I was in London over the weekend meaning that I was totally ready to rock the tofu yesterday!! Having lived in Toronto and London I sometimes find it annoying that there isn't more of a variety of international ingredients at my supermarket in Chelmsford.  They are getting better...recently I have spied a Thai section of imported goods (not just UK brand name stuff) and also saw tinned bamboo shoots and water chestnuts yesterday in the "Indian and Chinese" section...there is hope, and I know that I can always request things...I might build up the courage!

In total this recipe took about 1 hour to complete (including time for marinating) and, although a bit fiddly, it was worth the organisation/preparation. 


First the tofu is marinaded in hoisin sauce for 30 mins, then it is wrapped in softened rice paper wrappers with a corriander leaf and left to self-seal in the fridge for about 15 mins.  All that can be done in advance (which is what I did) and then taken out and deep fried minutes before serving.
 

These Crackling Rice-paper Parcels with Hoisin Tofu were surprisingly amazing! I was actually really happy with myself.  I rarely deep fry anything, and haven't used rice-paper wrappers before but the results were really nice.  Some of the wrappers got a bit too brown, and one (in the middle) sort of split...but the taste and texture was really nice. 

7 comments:

  1. Hey!

    My baking course is going well.I am actually forward to next week class where we will make creme caramel bavarian cream. That will be good!

    I love tofu but I rarely cook with it. In fact, I did a 2-week tofu course more than one year ago (okay, I am having fun doing multiple cooking courses without the slight intention to make it a career) and I learned a lot :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an interesting use of tofu and rice paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds to me like you need to treat yourself to a personal copy of this amazing cookbook!!!!

    mummi-ji

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen...i can't wait to have some extra cash to take cooking classes!! I have my eye on a year long pastry course!!

    Ravenous Couple...thanks for stopping by! It was interesting a tasty!

    Mummi-ji...I thought I would get it...but have copied out most of the recipes I have used...there are a lot that don't interest me! Yeah Library!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy Yummy Yummy!!! You're way too good!!! I'm AMAZED!
    Makes me want to try some- I am quite adventurous too, but just about food!
    Keep up the good work,
    This is really a gourmet!
    Love,
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annalisa...thank you so much!! they were really easy! and...if you are comfortable deep frying so so so much easier!! try them! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can't get into tofu; tried a couple times in some recipe and found it tasteless. i know what you mean when you can't find that certain ingredient for a recipe. Countdown is on now for you; very exciting!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete