Monday 26 April 2010

Homemade Granola Bars...healthier? cheaper? tastier?

Now that I have started working again David and I go through almost 2 boxes of granola bars a week!! Not only does that amount to a large chunk of our weekly grocery budget, but it is also difficult to have a variety of bars...mostly it is just the same thing week after week...unless, by chance, something really good is on sale. 

I thought that I would try my hand at making my own granola bars to try to figure out if it would be at all cheaper...maybe a bit healthier?? and above all...be able to make bars in a variety of flavours...

I used this recipe from BBC Good Food for cinnamon berry granola bars, substituting some of the ingredients.


To be honest the only ingredient I didn't have already was honey...meaning that this batch of 16 bars only cost me the price of 3 TBSP of honey...for the next batch I will have to buy more porridge oats and more seeds, so it might be a bit more pricey...but the ingredients that I do buy will make more than 1 batch of these chewy homemade bars!

1 comment:

  1. everything looks very yummy - nice to hear all what you have been been cooking - thanks for all my encouragement too xxxxxxxx -those granola bars look good enough to eat from here

    ReplyDelete