Monday 3 January 2011

New Year...new adventures

I am not one for resolutions...I know I should try to exercise/drink less/eat better/be kinder/give to charity/keep the table tidy etc. etc. And with good all the good intentions in the world I have TRIED to keep resolutions in the past...but this year...I know they won't keep...I know me...I know my ways...

And...I've got other things to stress over...

I'm starting a new job tomorrow! Full time...one that will see me commuting with the rest of the suckers who live out here in Chelmsford...I don't have time for resolutions...I have more important things to think about...like dinner...and dessert...and housework.

I have grown accustomed to my life as a lady of leisure (well...part-time leisure).  My freelance job has allowed me the best of both worlds...fun work with little responsibility...and time to cook and bake and enjoy my life with my hubby...and now...all that I am used to is threatened by my new job!!!!!

No...no....no...I am soooo excited about this opportunity and everything that it will bring with it (totally a dream job) but commute?? wake up before 7:30?? oh god, what have I got myself into?

In preparation for this new way of life I have prepared a two week meal plan (oh god...I am sooo boring) and we've bought everything we need for those two weeks...recipes have been cut out of magazines and marked in cook books...we are ready...we are prepared....we are....

And so, in celebration I have decided to make the conscious effort (this is NOT a resolution) to bake a loaf of bread every Sunday...in preparation for the week ahead.  Now...if you have been following closely you will know that yeast breads are not something I bake often...and when I do it is usually without success...however...I had an epiphany Saturday night...the dough hook on my kitchen aid...must be for...DOUGH.  click click on the internet and I found instructions for making dough in my stand mixer...easy peasy, can't go wrong!


When the dough came out of the mixer it looked like it was barely going to feed us for a day, but as it rose on the baking sheet it got wider and wider and...somewhat taller.  Next week I will put it in a 9" round cake tin to give it a better shape, and more height...and see what happens.  The important thing is...it tasted great!! We slathered the end bits with butter and strawberry jam...a great way to toast new adventures!

Happy 2011to you all!!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new job! Hope it will be fun and rewarding. This bread looks so rustic and delicious. Thanks for the tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to 'Toast' new adventures - XXX
    PS loved the Cherry Cake XXX did'nt get a look in with anything else !! it all went missing !!! - wonder why ?? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boulder Locavore...thank you for your comments!!!!the bread is greeeat!!! :)

    Cherry...next time I will have to make you your own bag!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bread looks wonderful. Good luck with the new job. Love that resolution! Enjoy the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. now this looks damn good, you should be well proud x good luck with the job x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita...thank you so much!!! let's hope the resolution keeps! :)

    Dom....thank you!!!! coming from the sourdough king!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing like watching a KitchenAid do all the work, is there? Good idea looking for a recipe, I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Kitchen Maid...it is my life saver! xx

    ReplyDelete