Monday 23 May 2011

A bit of fish for Sunday

Recently I've been making my big weekend meals on a Saturday...I am not sure why, it just seems to have slotted into our routine better than Sundays.  The past couple of Sundays have been spent walking and exploring...leaving less time to prepare a traditional Sunday meal.

Yesterday, after our adventures, I popped some baking potatoes in the oven as soon as we walked in the door and left them to do their thing while we enjoyed a cup of tea and a movie.  To go with the-best-baked-potatoes-I-have-ever-made I topped some pollock fillets with a mixture of fresh breadcrumbs, a bit of oil and chopped herbs and green chilli...popped them under a medium grill for about 10 mins until cooked through and crispy...and mixed up a quick avocado and cherry tomato salad.


Not to toot my own horn...but I was really pleased by how well this turned out.  Not only were the baked potatoes absolutely perfect...but the fish was a big surprise.  The original recipe called for fresh mackerel fillets, which were WAY out of my price range this week...so I opted for the 'basics' pack of fresh pollock fillets...you know...odd shapes, mixed sizes etc. 1/3 of the price and actually really good.  I was worried it was going to be rubbery, I was worried it was going to be too fishy..but I needn't have worried.

4 comments:

  1. That looks gorgeous! We hardly ever have jacket potatoes but they're such a fab and easy side dish. I may be inspired to serve them up very soon.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our plan is to eat more fish and this easy tasty recipe will be on my menu soon. Love baked potatoes and never think of serving them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seren...thanks! I rarely make baked potatoes unless i have a couple of hours to let them bake away...nothing worse than a potato with a rock hard centre.

    Rita...the topping was so easy and you can totally adapt it for any fish...next time i am going to try cilantro, lemon and chilli for an asian style fish...with rice instead of potato...but baked potatoes can be soooo good (baked sweet potatoes too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a jacket potato recently -it's always one of those things that you just forget about, then make and think "why don't I have this more often?"
    Your fish looks lovely - the crumb on top would add lots of lovely crunch too

    ReplyDelete