Friday 23 September 2011

Spanakopita...a delicious experiment

It still amazes me how many times I find myself typing the words "I have never made a..." The great thing about this blogosphere and all the wonderful foody blogs I'm reading is that I am constantly looking for new recipes to try...classic dishes I haven't been brave enough to...new techniques...and even new ingredients.  

Last night's supper was yet another example of all this...

First, the (original recipe) surfaced during the aftermath of the random selection for Belleau Kitchen's monthly challenge...a hastily scribbled recipe for Spinach Pie from Donna Hay's Instant Cook (I suspect I was either babysitting and having a nosey through the cookbooks...or visiting my parents) with yet another note (in a different pen colour underneath) suggesting the addition of Filo pastry...which brings me to the second point, having never baked with filo pastry before...and then thirdly, the new techniques that go along with that...damp towels, brushing melted butter, working quickly.  


In the end I totally made it up as I went along...using frozen spinach I defrosted it and squeezed all the extra water out and then added it to a sauteed chopped shallot and 4 crushed cloves of garlic, some dried oregano and some freshly chopped basil...the added in crumbled feta and a tub of ricotta...mixed it all up...seasoned (I could have eaten it right out of the bowl)...and then prepared to FILO...


Really simple salad last night, but the plan is to eat the left overs cold tonight with hot buttery new baby potatoes! 

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous - I've never made this either but it's on my "I really must do" list for ages. Plus, even though filo is pastry it's still kind of virtuous...

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two words, Yum! yum! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm also currently doing a heck of a lot of 'things i've never made...' must be in the air... I also adore spanikopita and made it for the first time last year myself... so good.... sooooo goooood!!!!!!... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious, I've only bought the ready made stuff before. The leftovers sound just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't beat the combination of spinach and creamy cheese, and yours looks amazing. I've only cooked with filo once, the spinach pie from Jamie's 30 minute meals. Actually, rather than cooking with it, I think it would be more accurate to say I had a fight with it - and I didn't come out on top. But your post has a very calm tone to it, so I'm guessing your speed/butter/damp towels techniques worked well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. Spinach pie is one of our favorite things to get at the Greek restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a restaurant that makes the best, but never entered my mind to make it. Now you are giving me the urge to try it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so glad it turned out well for you, my post for dom's challenge didn't turn out too well! I like filo pastry and I love spinach so this is totally my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete