Saturday 25 February 2012

Random Recipes: 1st Birthday


I can't believe that the Random Recipes challenge, hosted by the fantastic Dom over at Belleau Kitchen, is 1 this month! The theme this month? To return the first book used...and as I scanned the past year's posts in my archive I was surprised to see that it took me a whole 3 months to actually jump on the RR bandwagon.   How horrible is that?! 

My shame at being so awful was quickly tossed aside when I discovered that the first cookbook I used way back all those months ago was the totally adorable Peter Rabbit's Cookbook.  This is one of the sweetest cookbooks ever...hands down.  There is something so pure about it.  Every time I pick it up I feel healthy, I feel cleansed...I feel like a little bunny.  

Who could resist recipes for Squirrel Nutkin's Banana-Nut Loaf (a family favourite), Tabitha Twitchit's Spicy Raisin Dessert, Cat and Rat Tomato Soup or Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle's Tomatoes stuffed with cottage cheese? 

The writing is aimed at little bunnies, reminding us that knives, electric blenders and mixers can be dangerous.  And there is even a chapter entitled "How to like Onions", giving advice on the best onions for little bunny palates. 

My recipe this time? Mr. Pricklepin's Cream or Cottage Cheese Sandwiches


While it appears like mush, I can promise you this is a fantastic little sandwich.  Mr. Pricklepin's recipe has 3 variations.  The one I chose was cottage cheese, finely chopped celery, finely chopped green onion and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds all mashed together and then spread over bread.  I'll admit I added some salt and pepper to the mix (I am an adult bunny after all) and toasted my bread.  Other variations suggest cream or cottage cheese mixed with raisins and seeds, or finely diced cucumber and chopped dill.

The crisps might not be in keeping with the healthy natural foods theme of this cookbook...but it is a birthday party after all! Happy 1st Birthday Random Recipes!


8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday RR!!!

    I am a huge Potter fan and I didn't know there was a cookbook! I'll be on the look out for it! I think your sandwich looks yummy too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! 'whilst it appears like mush' ... great line! I think this book is adorable and I totally remember your entry the first time. Excellent stuff! So happy you joined in to celebrate with me xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMM!!!! did you use slices from your fabulous soy and linseed loaf ????
    Isn't it nice to know that even though you are now an adult bunny, those comforting recipes still "hit the spot"....

    mummi-ji
    x0

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last shot - so beautifully composed! It sounds like a lovely book to buy for a chid, and good that it isn't just full of cakes and cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very yummy looking bunny food I must say! a very nostalgic recipe for me too, when I first started makign food for myself, it was often sandwiches like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, I'm such a Beatrix Potter fan anyway and always have a soft spot for children's cookbooks, makes me really nostalgic for the days when you did really need an adult in the kitchen with you for the tricky stuff. Before I get too deep and start musing that now I am the adult, I will just say that this is a lovely, fresh-sounding idea for a sandwich. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic sounding book - I'm going to keep my eyes open for it! That sounds like a really yummy toast topping. Love the concept of the 'How to Like Onions' chapter - made me smile!

    ReplyDelete